Nut-free, Dairy free, Gluten free, Sugar free but FULL of YUMMINESS. Feeling experimental in my first attempt to make breakfast bars, I happened to stumble upon a recipe for these little treats.
Naturally, as with all ‘experimental’ situations, the effort to recreate your initial concoction is always a challenge. Fortunately, several steps along the way, here they are, better than before and polished off by K (and me) before I have even written this post.
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free)
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ½ cup pitted, dried apricot
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- Boil some water in a pan and remove from the stove
- Roughly chop the dates and apricot and soak in the hot water for 15-20 minutes
- Meanwhile, blend together the oats and coconut to form a grainy mix
- Once the dates and apricots have softened in the water, drain and add to the oaty coconut mix.
- Blend to form a dough-like mixture
- Remove from the blender and roll in the palms of your hands to make 1 inch balls
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and then store in an airtight container (for up to one week)