A favourite from my own childhood and still a hit with my own little one. Quick and easy to make with great flavours from each of its components.
Hotch Potch Pasta Bake
Serves: 4 servings
- 3 cups Conchiglie (shell) pasta
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 20-25 mushrooms, destalked, skinned and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 can baked beans
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper (optional)
- Grated cheese to sprinkle layer baking dish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Place pasta in salted boiling water to cook, whilst you prepare the sauce as below.
- Heat a generous swig of olive oil in a non stick pan and salute the onions and green peppers for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms soften.
- Now add in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the tomatoes create a paste-like sauce.
- Drain the pasta once cooked.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked and soft, add in the baked beans, ketchup, salt, pepper and cooked pasta and mix well.
- Set in a baking dish and sprinkle cheese on top and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until cheese has browned slightly.