Cheese on Toast day! I am currently managing a sick 6 month old and an almost sick toddler. By almost sick, I mean the toddler who isn’t fussy generally but won’t even touch her favourite meals. Paracetamol is just a matter of time for this one.
For those of you who know me, you will know that I don’t brag. However, when it comes to cheese on toast, I have no shame in proclaiming that I make a pretty awesome version of this classic comfort food. My methodology has evolved over the years to a winning combination of cheeses, veggies and freshly baked bread.
For the cheese, cheddar is a must as a base and this leaves you able to experiment to find your perfect partner to it. I love gruyere and smoked cheese (as used in this instance). However, there are no rules to this so just stick to the one type of cheese if you prefer.
For the veggies, again to your preference but I love the combination of onion, peppers and mushrooms.
Finally the bread; keep it simple, keep it white and keep it thick sliced. Seeded, grained or wholemeal breads will work too but my preference is white or half and half.
The milk, however odd you may find it, is the secret to success. By hand-mixing a little milk into the mixture, it creates a pastiness to the cheese, which in turn binds everything together.
- Couple of thick slices of good quality, fresh bread
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated cheese of your choice (mozzarella / smoked / gruyere etc)
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ tomato, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- Couple of mushrooms, diced
- Handful of chopped herbs (basil / coriander)
- ½ tspn dried mixed herbs
- 1-2 tbspn milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to a medium flame setting
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients together with your hands.
- Place the bread slices on a baking tray and grill for 2-3 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Flip the bread over, soft side facing up. Spoon the cheese mixture over the soft side of the bread and place in the grill again for a further 2-3 minutes until the cheese mixture is melted.
- Eat hot and enjoy and serve with a bowl of soup or portion of salad.